Your home is your own personal space, so it should reflect who you are as a person or family. Custom carpentry is one great way to make your home stand out from the rest. Custom carpenters can bring personality to your home by designing and building unique cabinetry, doors, mantels, decks and other woodwork elements. Adding a beautiful, custom carpentry element can update and transform your home more quickly, and at a lower price than a full-on renovation.
Best Custom Carpentry Ideas
Custom carpentry can be applied in so many creative ways to add both interest and efficiency to your home. Below are just a few ideas to get your ideas flowing:
- Custom cabinetry can be not only beautiful, but extremely practical and perfectly suited to your needs. For example, if you love wine, your custom kitchen cabinets can include a decorative built-in wine rack for storage.
- Decorative highlights like a mantel can create an eye-catching focal point or centerpiece in any room.
- Custom storage solutions can display your prized possessions or hide and organize your clutter. A storage solution could be anything from a dreamy, walk-in closet, to a cupboard under the stairs for cleaning supplies, to a storage room for all your outdoor gear.
- A built-in entertainment center can add a bit of luxury to your living room, while also offering plenty of space for storage. You can even hide the television or other electronics behind a sliding cabinet or bookshelf.
- Large, sliding barn-style doors are becoming quite popular and can save space when there is no room for a swinging door.
List of a few amazing/unique carpentry ideas
Whatever carpentry feature you’re after, there are certain materials, techniques and finishes that can make it stand out, including the following ideas:
- Using atypical materials such as reclaimed wood can bring a warm, rustic feel to any space. Incorporating recycled materials can also make your home more eco-friendly.
- Adding artistic features such as carvings or a mix of different colored woods can add interest and make the feature truly one-of-a-kind.
- Leaving wood in its natural state or form can be really eye-catching as well. For example, using a large single piece of natural wood as a bar countertop – rings, knots and all – with a glossy finish can make the wood itself a work of art.
- Decorative techniques like staining, antiquing, patina or tuscany finishes can add texture and different style to wood features.
- Painting your cabinetry, door or mantel with a pop of color can draw attention and add a bit of whimsy to your home.
Need a Carpenter for Hire?
If you are looking for a carpenter for hire for custom features like these, keep in mind there are several different kinds of carpenters – some specialize in “rough” carpentry, which is more foundational, structural woodworking, while others have the experience and design skills necessary for custom jobs.
At Fitzpatrick Painting, we have a wealth of experience building custom cabinets, entertainment systems and other complex and unique carpentry features. We also offer staining and finishing services for new and existing woodwork in your home. If you are in Oregon and are looking for a custom carpenter, contact us for a free estimate today!