Your bedroom should be your safe haven – a place where you feel at home, relaxed and at peace. The paint color you select plays a big role in the overall feel of your bedroom. Choose carefully and the color of your walls can literally bring positive psychological effects, or even a better night’s sleep! For example, a survey by Travelodge found that participants who slept in a blue room got the best night’s sleep, closely followed by moss greens, pale yellows and silvers.
This article will provide some bedroom painting ideas to help you dream up the perfect room of your own!
Master Bedroom Painting Ideas
When selecting a color for your master suite, you’ll want to think about not only your personal preference, but the psychology of color as well. For example, your favorite color might be red, but did you know it can trigger danger warnings in your brain and quicken your heart rate? Studies have found that soft hues of blue, green and yellow tend to be more relaxing, while darker hues and more vibrant colors can have the opposite effect.
If you’re after a calm, serene aesthetic for your master bedroom, these colors have been some of the most popular choices in 2019:
- Gray green: This color has a slightly more masculine feel and pairs well with light woods and bright white trim.
- Misty blue: This subtle color can make you feel like you’re by the sea – what could be more relaxing than that?
- Pale pink: A light, neutral pink is more relaxing than stark white and can even make your space appear larger.
If you want something more bold or unique, but still relaxing, consider a lemon yellow or pale apricot color. You can definitely play with color and be creative, but less intense, more muted hues will still help you get a restful sleep.
Boys Bedroom Painting Ideas
Painting a kid’s room can be tons of fun! Here are a few ideas to help you get creative, be playful and think outside of the box:
- Chalkboard wall: If your kids are going to be drawing all over the ways anyway, you may as well embrace it by painting a portion of the wall with chalkboard paint. They can draw, write notes or even do their homework on the walls!
- Starry sky: Keep the walls neutral and paint a blue sky full of clouds or a night sky full of stars on the ceiling.
- Sail away: Paint a sail above the headboard of their bed and turn the bed into a boat to help inspire imaginative adventures.
- Compromise: If your kid loves bright colors but you aren’t crazy about the bold look, consider painting just the lower or upper half of the walls, a single wall, a door, or maybe just a stripe of color around the room.
Girls Bedroom Painting Ideas
Any of the above ideas can be great for a girl’s room, but if she is looking for something a little more feminine, here are a few more ideas:
- Patterns: Consider painting one or more walls with a fun pattern, like stripes, polka dots, florals or even tie-dye. Paint will be easier to change in the future than wall paper and with some creativity and extra time, you can achieve a similar look.
- Murals: Murals are a fun addition to any kid’s space and can turn a boring bedroom into a magical forest, an island escape, a meadow full of flowers… the possibilities are endless!
- If you worry they might change their mind in a few years, try to talk them into a more mature hue of the same color – think pale instead of neon pink or aqua instead of baby blue.
Enjoy These Interior Painting Ideas for Bedroom Style!
When painting a bedroom, it’s about more than just the walls! There are plenty of alternative ways to bring a pop of color to the space, such as a painted door or a painted ceiling. Similarly, more and more people are choosing to paint “accent walls” to add some fun color without overwhelming the space or completely altering the mood.
There are also many decorative finishes to consider, such as Venetian plasters or antiquing, which can provide a unique and luxurious look and bring the bedroom of your dreams to life.
At Fitzpatrick Painting, our interior painting contractors specialize in all these interior painting services and more! Contact us and we’ll help you achieve the perfect look and feel for your home’s bedrooms.